Monday, June 21, 2010

Vienbenidos

Yes, I know that's misspelled.  I did it on purpose.


You see, I recently came across this sign while wandering around the South Los area:




Not only does the picture above serve as a great intro post to this blog, but it is also a helpful reminder that when you tell someone "se escribe con 'b' y 'v'," you should also specify the order.


For the English-only crowd, the proper spelling is 'Bienvenidos.'  Apparently someone assumed that telling the author that the proper spelling included a 'B' and a 'V' was sufficient.  The assumption was incorrect.

2 comments:

  1. LOL - I've seen native Spanish speakers mix up the "B" and "V". They sound so similar and in Salvadoran Spanish especially, they seem almost interchangeable. The sign is hilarious though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is another sign about 1/2 mile down from this one that is even funnier.

    I need to drive by there and get a pic one of these days so you can see it. I won't spoil it.

    ReplyDelete